What To Do
What To Do On The IslandQ. So what can we do on our vacation at Kelleys Island?
A. Too many things to list, but here is a good start:
KidStage is coming to Kelleys Island! Whether your kids love to be on stage, or just want to have fun and make some new friends–KidStage is for them. (Plus Mom and Dad can enjoy a couple hours with the "Big kids" on the island!)
1. Take a cruise around the island. Or rent a kayak for the same view with some exercise built in.
2. Enjoy our world famous fishing anywhere on or around the island, but remember you do need a Fishing License and they are no longer available on the island. Many local fishing charters are available for cruises.
3. Tour the world famous Glacial Grooves.
4. Swim on the North side of the island at Sandy Beach in the Kelleys Island State Park
5. Bird Watching. Spring and fall, the island is used as a stepping-stone to cross Lake Erie. Migrating songbirds and birds of prey stop to rest and refuel as they continue their journey. With the diverse island habitats, a variety of bird species can be seen throughout the year. Be sure to check the Kelleys Island Birds and Natural History website for the annual Nest With the Birds and Feathers and Foliage birding festivals.
6. Hiking and Walking. The charm of Kelleys Island is easily explored by foot. The south shore maintains much of the original island architecture. Discovery is yours along our State Park and Nature Preserve trails. There are a multitude of spring and summer wildflowers, or if you prefer, fossils are clearly visible in the surrounding quarry cliffs and rocks. Hike the North Pond Trail or bike the East Quarry Trail
7. Scuba Diving. Come and explore the heritage in Lake Erie’s western basin. Enjoy Kelleys Island summer’s diving the multitude of shipwrecks in the area. Limestone ledges surround the island and offer a variety of areas to explore. Who knows what you may find?
8. Bring a Picnic Lunch to the North Loop Hiking Trail (pick one up at the Kelleys Island Wine Co. or they have prepared sandwiches at the Island Market) Save your bag for the trash...we have a wonderfully clean Park System.
9. Rent a golf cart at one of many locations around the island and take a leisurely tour of the island.
10. Sea Kayaking. With 17 miles of irregular shoreline, Kelleys Island allows paddlers to experience Lake Erie’s ever-changing moods. The island provides a perfect setting for kayak touring spring, summer, or throughout the fall. Check our events listing for the annual Kayak Poker Paddle held in September.
11. Learn History. Stop by and visit the Kelleys Island Historical Association in the Old Stone Church on Division St.
12. Toss Horseshoes, play volleyball and sip wine at the Kelleys Island Wine Co.
13. Taste the beer at the Kelleys Island Brewery...Great Specials. We also offer catering for parties, weddings, etc.
14. Shrimp Cocktail yourself at The Casino, or for a real treat, try the Bloody Mary Special with a large cocktail shrimp as a garnish!!!
15. Park and watch the sunset at West Bay Inn/strong>, and if they are open, enjoy!
17. Bicycle down Lover's Lane from the State Park.....a wonderful, romantic coast all the way to the Lake.
18. Visit the Grotto and the Blessed Virgin Statue on the way.
19. Take a day trip to Put-In-Bay on the Jet Express or the Goodtime.
20. Island Hopping on Griffing Flying Service to Pelee Island and Put-In-Bay or Middle Bass Island.
21. Day tour to Marblehead Lighthouse, Ben Richmond Galleries, Johnson Island and Port Clinton.